Subject: Re: WooHoo: README: Merge plan for nathanw_sa branch
To: None <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2003 16:32:05
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Chuck Yerkes wrote:

> Learning to type:
> Quoting Chuck Yerkes (
> > Are there detailed of what this will give the kernel available?
> Are there details available of what this will give the kernel?
> Does this make a finer locking SMP more likely?

Not directly.

We've wanted finer-grained locking in SMP, and will continue to want it.

What this gives us is a native threading library, and (IMNHO) a very good
one at that.

The libpthread we will be getting will do M:N threading, and if someone
wanted to, s/he could write a 1:1 library too.

This may help finer-grained locking in that since we have base SMP and
threads, working on locking is the next thing to do.

Take care,