Subject: Re: building 1.6 on -current: pax-as-tar problem?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/2003 13:18:25
[ On Tuesday, January 14, 2003 at 09:10:41 (-0500), Andreas Wrede wrote: ]
> Subject: building 1.6 on -current: pax-as-tar problem?
>
> cd: can't cd to /m5/netbsd-1.6/src/tools/toolchain/obj.i386/build/gcc/include

I don't know about that part....

> tar: Sorry, unable to determine archive format.

But for this I bet the second tar's option flags need a leading '-':

	tar -xpBf -

which is more or less confirmed by your success with the 1.5 binary.

Too many *BSD users have been too complacent about relying on ancient
tar's really ancient interface quirks for too many years and still carry
over this silly habit of not using the hyphen because they apparently
don't like typing what they feel are unnecessary characters.  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods