Subject: Re: formatting usb floppy?
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/2003 10:32:49
In message <>, Curt Sam
pson writes:
>On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Gary Thorpe wrote:
>>  --- Curt Sampson <> wrote: > On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Gary

>> > ordinarily?
>> >
>> > Probably the same way hard drives are: "scsictl sd0 format".
>> So the usb device will *actually* accept SCSI commands over the usb
>> "link layer" and its not just coded to look that way?
>ATAPI is basically an IDEish version of SCSI, as I understand it.
>> Are people able
>> to format ZIP disks and MO media this way? If so, does it work for usb
>> as well as "real" SCSI device attached to SCSI host adapters?
>Why don't you try it? (My USB floppy is at home right now, or I would.)
>At any rate, if it doesn't work this way, I can't think of how it would
>be possible to format anything with a USB drive.

I just did.

# scsictl sd0 format
/dev/rsd0d: SCSI command timed out
/dev/rsd0d: device is busy
/dev/rsd0d: Check Condition on CDB: 1a 00 03 00 23 00
    SENSE KEY: Illegal Request
     ASC/ASCQ: Invalid Command Operation Code

Of course, this is that mysterious TEAC drive that no one can write to
under NetBSD....  (I note that there is a QUIRK entry for the drive
already.  Should something be added to it?)

          NULL, NULL

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)