Subject: Re: formatting usb floppy?
To: Gary Thorpe <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/2003 23:00:56
In message <>, Gary Thorpe wri
> --- Bryan P <> wrote: > On the distinguished day of Jan
>13, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> with
>> format

>> removable
>> >
>> > I've experienced the same problem, and posted about it.  No one has
>> > suggested any solutions.  I can usually read from the drive, but I
>> can
>> > never write to it.
>> Me three.  What I've been doing in the mean-time is using dd to copy
>> out a
>> disk image of a freshly formatted disk.
>> -bp
>> --
>> # Software Engineer
>How would other removeable media SCSI devices be formatted ordinarily?
>Would it work for this?
>[If dd actually works, then it would seem writes are possible....]

I've never tried formatting it, but I've never gotten any writes to
work.  I was about to try 'dd', but when I plugged the drive in, I ran
afoul of another oft-discussed USB bug:  it printed the 'umass0' stuff,
but not the 'sd0' part.  (There was a suggestion that I should disable
ATAPI over umass.  That didn't solve the problem.)

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)