Subject: Re: Too weird.
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/2003 09:17:53
Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>  wrote:
 > On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 10:28:18PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
 >
 >  > So... Anyone aware of circumstances where a wi0 card would be able to do dhcp,
 >  > but not able to do even one round-trip ping packet to the base station,
 >  > but a different (lucent) card would work?  To make it worse, the Handera's
 >  > card and the ThinkPad's are both Prism cards with similar chipsets.
 >
 > The first thing that pops to mind is signal strength problems.

I actually had this problem between a Linksys and Lucent.  I had 2
Linksys's talking to one another just fine but as soon as I put the
Lucent in the mix, I couldn't get the linksys's to talk to it. After
a bit of futzing around, I finally managed to get it to work but I
can't for the life of me remember what I did.

But the symptoms were almost identical.  I could see packets from
the Lucent using tcpdump and I could see the return packets going
back out but a tcpdump on the laptop with the lucent only saw the
packets going out but nothing coming back.