Subject: Too weird.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/2003 22:28:18
Okay, so, I was out with a friend, and we were near a coffee shop with
802.11b, so we thought we'd see if we could browse.

Results:  His iPaq and my Handera could browse.  My ThinkPad can DHCP, but
can't send data.

Weirder still:  This is also true under Windows!

Weirder still:  If I use the wireless card from his iPaq, I can browse just
fine.

Just to top it off:  Once connected to the base station, the ThinkPad's built
in wireless could ping his iPaq.

So... Anyone aware of circumstances where a wi0 card would be able to do dhcp,
but not able to do even one round-trip ping packet to the base station,
but a different (lucent) card would work?  To make it worse, the Handera's
card and the ThinkPad's are both Prism cards with similar chipsets.

BTW, the "connections silently aborted or dropped" problem was reproducible
on the Lucent hardware too.

-s