Subject: Re: Confused compiling -current
To: None <>
From: Daniel Bolgheroni <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/2003 06:48:23
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 02:11:01AM -0200, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> > is only to compile *dependencies* to build a new system. I was
> > thinking builds all the system.
> The latter, or both. It takes options to controll it, run " -h" to
> see them. The minimal approach is "-t" to build the needed tools, and "-k"
> to build the kernel.

To understand:

I have all the -current source at /usr/src. I used the "./ -t -k
GENERIC" and, after all done, gives me a kernel at
/usr/src/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC. After that, all my -release tools
remains the same, but I've got a -current kernel. Is it right?

In "Tracking NetBSD-current", I saw:

"./ -O /usr/obj -T /usr/tools
When you build your system for the first time using, a set of
tools for future use of compilations will be built, too, and thus you
encounter a quite increased runtime of the initial compilation."

With this option (./ -O /usr/obj -T /usr/tools), and with the
DESTDIR=/, all my tools will be updated and the -release tools lost. So,
to compile a new -current kernel, it can be directly with config, make
depend, make. So, why don't compile new -current kernels only with Because if the compilation of the new -current kernel fail, you
still have all the old -release tools.

Thanks in advance.