Subject: Re: Confused compiling -current
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dab__@uol.com.br>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/2003 16:28:24
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:22:00AM -0200, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> I was reading the "Tracking NetBSD-current FAQ" and I saw I must compile
> kernel before any new libs.
>
> "When upgrading to a more recent version of -current you should always
> compile and boot a new kernel before installing any new libs (*)."

Yes.

> OK, but reading the Kernel FAQ, I became confused:
>
> "Sometimes, binaries and/or libraries need to be updated before you will
> be able to build -current on a release."

Yes, some of the tools needed to build the newer software need to
be up-to-date as well.  You found this with the example of config(8).

> So, when I want to compile -current over a -release, I must compile
> binaries and libraries first, and when I want to compile a newer -current
> over an older -current, I must compile the newer kernel first. Am I right,
> or am I still confused?

/usr/src/build.sh is designed to help resolve these circular dependencies.

New tools are built and installed into a working directory, and
then those tools are used to build the rest of the system, including
(optionally) kernels.

The point is that you don't install anything over your working
machine until the process is finished.

> Is it because I'm trying to use the -release "config" with the newer
> -current kernel?

Exactly.

--
Dan.