Subject: Something wrong with my build setup?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/2003 11:22:12
I'm trying to build -current (updated several times over the last
few days), and I've been getting some errors which now seem to
be related to either the toolchain or the libs which are installed
on the system:

cleandir ===> bin/rm
rm -f rm.o  rm.ln
./rm: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
*** Error code 2

now, looking at the "rm" it's trying to execute:

rm:      ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for NetBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

random:riz  /usr/src/bin/rm/obj> ./rm
./rm: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.

OK, so this explains a little better some errors I'd been getting (from
a completely cleaned source tree and empty obj dir, mind you) when it
would get to bin/mv:  I'd also get an error because it seemed to try
to execute the just-built "mv" when building something in that directory.
So, this seems to be related to the dynamic root change... the system
I'm building from is from around June 29th, so it was before the
changeover; it would seem I need to do something special... UPDATING
indicates to make sure /lib and /libexec are populated, but I had
thought that the point of the new build system was to be able to build
on older releases; shouldn't it be using $DESTDIR/lib and $DESTDIR/libexec?
(which, incidentally, *are* populated).  Also, why would it use the
just-built "rm" or "mv", anyway?  (Seems like a cross-building nightmare)

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong;  I'd appreciated a good whack with
the clue-by-four.

+j
--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz