Subject: lcp timouts with PPPoE and earthlink DSL
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/2003 13:06:32
Dear NetBSDers,
   I was reciently forced to move from Telocity->DirectTVDSL and I chose
earthlink DSL.  They use PPPoE and the url:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe/
   is quite helpful in getting things set up.
   The major remaining problem I have is that when I'm running NetBSD-1.6
connected via pppoe I see many messages "lcp timeout - restarting
connection" (or something similar to that).  It takes a while for the
connection to be restablished - about as long as it is connected.  The
DSL "modem" sync ligth goes amber for a while while it is doing this
reconnecting.
   I have verified the connection works well with a windows-2k box (the
sync light is solid green and connecton works).
   I have tried to vary the lpc-time-out value (appears to be able to be
from 1 to 20,000 ms) but it does not seem to effect these re-connections.
The DSL connection is always on.
   At one point (before I followed the directions for upgrading the modem
firmware) I had a solid connection connection under NetBSD (though I also
had similar problems as well)
   It appears there is no way to turn off the lpc echo stuff.

   Any help would be appreciated.

   P. S. I've found out that if you change the eithernet card connected to
the earthlink dsl modem and use dhcp it put redirects all trafic to the
modem until you give your password via a web browser.

johnh...