Subject: Re: chrooted bind-8.3.4 problem ("can't make tmpfile...")
To: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/2003 13:36:43
>Jan  5 14:29:19 azenomei named-xfer[10641]: can't make tmpfile (knuffel.net.cache.10641a): Permission denied
>
>I got the above log message from pkgsrc bind-8.3.4, which is running
>chrooted. It does not mention the full path name but I presume it is
>something like /tmp/... since /var/tmp exists in the chrooted area.
>
>Earlier I had to change this in my /etc/rc.conf:
>
>named_flags="-c /etc/namedb/named.conf"
>
>since otherwise it would try to use /usr/pkg/etc/namedb/named.conf.
>
>I also needed to make a symlink from /var/chroot/named/usr/pkg to . - I
>think this was to get /usr/pkg/libexec/named-xfer to be found.
>I suppose I'll add a symlink from /tmp to var/tmp and see if that helps.
>
>All this seems rather surprising for a pkg that is supposed to replace a
>system-supplied program due to a serious security issue (NetBSD Security
>Advisory 2002-029).

in your named.conf, you presumably have a line that says

	directory "/etc/namedb";

or something like that.  named is probably trying to create this
knuffel.net.cache.10641a file somewhere under there.  probably in the
same directory as the knuffel.net file.  are you secondarying
knuffel.net from somewhere?  is the directory into which named has
been configured to store secondary zone files writeable by named?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."