Subject: Re: HEADS UP: new build.sh & top level Makefile functionality ...
To: Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/30/2002 23:43:32
On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 11:32:22AM +0100, Ronald van der Pol wrote:
  | Thanks, great.
  |
  | I have successfully built as myself with
  | $ sh build.sh -D xxx -T yyy -U
  | and installed with
  | # make DESTDIR=xxx TOOLDIR=yyy installworld
  |
  | The only catch was that after the build as user all directories in DESTDIR
  | were of mode 700. My umask=022. How can I make sure they get mode=755?
  | I do the install over NFS with root=nobody, so all files must be world
  | readable.

Since you're running build.sh with -U (UNPRIVED), you should run the
installworld with the same option, so that the build system knows to
Do The Right Thing with permissions from the info stored in
$DESTDIR/METALOG.

To make things easier, I'd just change your installation routine to:
	# yyy/bin/nbmake-`uname -m` UPDATE=1 installworld

I.e, run "$TOOLDIR/bin/nbmake-$MACHINE" with "UPDATE=1 installworld".
As nbmake-$MACHINE is a shell script wrapper to $TOOLDIR/bin/nbmake
which contains the various settings from the last time you ran build.sh,
it already has the settings for DESTDIR, TOOLDIR, UNPRIVED, (...)

You could simplify things even more by using "-u" with build.sh; then
you don't need "UPDATE=1" on installworld commandline.

  | I like the build.sh functionality and etcupdate. Building NetBSD has much
  | improved over the last year or so. Thanks again.

You're welcome; I'm glad that it helps!

Luke.