Subject: Re: LaserJet 1200, USB, and NetBSD
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 12/30/2002 01:08:40
On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:42:01PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> I purchased a HP LaserJet 1200, connected it to my NetBSD box (running
> 1.6 release at the moment) - and it didn't work.

I finally got a chance to work on the problem.  I commented out the
"|| id->bInterfaceProtocol == UIPROTO_PRINTER_1284" part in USB_ATTACH(ulpt)
in ulpt.c and the printer now works (printing ASCII and PS).

So, the problem is that the HP presents the IEEE 1284 endpoint first and
NetBSD picks it (instead of the "normal" bidirectional endpoint), but
can't talk the correct language to the printer, which then completely
ignores everything transmitted by NetBSD.

The question is: How do I properly fix this?  Using usb_quirks, I guess,
but..?

Thanks,

  -jm