Subject: Re: proposed change to src/etc/Makefile
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/2002 17:19:16
>   | There isn't quite enough info in METALOG to do this for UPDATE
>   | builds if METALOG has been deleted since the previous build
>   | (necessary to stop it growing too large).
>
> To be blunt, if you're doing this, you're shooting yourself in the foot...

Not totally, I have a script that merges the new file with the old one.
So I have a file that does contain everything built since I last
deleted DSTDIR.
OTOH since I only want to update the files that have recently
been built (rather than everything that might be built) my foot
is actually in one piece.  Indeed the empty METALOG becomes a nice(ish)
list of the files that have just been built.

Of course, if I wanted to generate a release I'd want a clean build.

> I haven't found METALOG to grow *that much* when using UPDATE=, and my
> default build uses UPDATE=1...

But it does grow and grow, and start containing duplicate incomaptible
entries - eg for symlinks to libraries.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk