Subject: Re: Removing /sys [was Re: proposed change to src/etc/Makefile]
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/2002 23:33:38
On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 07:31:23AM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>  > I don't see any particular good reason to keep them. It's in same
>  > boat as /sys symlink.
>
> I don't really see it that way.  /altroot has historically been where
> one keeps a backup (or alternate) system image around.  I use this

But it's purely a human convention. It has no purpose as far as
the system is concerned. There are other very common root level
directories like '/cdrom' and so on that we don't ship.

I have often done rmdir /* on newly installed vendor Unix systems
just so my eyes wouldn't be blinded by all the historical and
miscellaneous clutter.

> /stand is where standalone programs go ... just because we don't
> have any installed there at the moment does not mean we should
> delete the directory.

Agreed.

Besides, /stand is in fact used by NetBSD/cobalt for what I believe
is the intended purpose :-)

--
Soren