Subject: Re: Removing /sys [was Re: proposed change to src/etc/Makefile]
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/2002 10:55:26
On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> Is this why I have to keep re-soft-linking /home on my system on every
> rebuild of "world"? A new change to the directory structure?
>
> Man, I really need to pay more attention before something really serious
> changes.

Sounds like you're a victim of changes to "pax". On the other hand,
removing the step to create "/sys" shouldn't cause problems for
anyone: if you have it, it would be left alone, and if you don't, and
you need it, you can always make it yourself, once.

The existence of "/sys -> /usr/src/sys" is more than just clutter. It
causes builds of packages that still pass "-I/sys" to the compiler to
blow up, in the likely case where "/usr/src/sys" is not for the
running system.

Frederick