Subject: USB multifunction hub weirdness
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 15:14:04
(pr kern/19378)

I'm looking for second opinions or other experiences on some USB
weirdness I'm having.  To summarize, I have three multifunction
USB hubs made by different vendors which are not working reliably
at all with NetBSD.  Two of them look nearly identical in dmesg,
each claiming to be a:
	FTDI 7 Port Multifunction Hub, class 9/1,rev 1.10/0.00, addr 2
Both have PS/2 ports, serial port, and 4 USB ports.  One also has a parallel
port and ethernet.

Symptoms are broad and varied; the PS/2 ports don't work well, and
the USB ports are simply not functional at all.  Various power-on
problems are reported... but this is exactly the same on three
different hubs which work on Windows, and which I believe used to
work under NetBSD.

By contrast, my 4-port (3 USB, 1 ethernet) hub works fine.

So... anyone out there using multifunction USB hubs with PS/2 ports,
or anything similar?  I have a handful of plain USB to PS/2 adapters;
they all work fine.  It's just the multifunction ones failing.

(And, with any luck, the problem won't be "my DNS is set up funny".)

-s