Subject: Re: How to build X source?
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Bryan P <u4@terran.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 12:50:05
On the elevated day of Dec 18, Julio Merino inscribed:

> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:55:57 -0800 (PST)
> Bryan P <u4@terran.org> wrote:
>
> > I've built -current src a number of times, but never xsrc.  It appears
> > that I simply check it out, set DESTDIR and RELEASEDIR and run "make
> > release" (so I can have .tgz's).  However, there does not seem to be a
> > way to run this build as a non-root user.  Is this correct?  Just want
> > to make sure I am not going to do anything that is going to scribble
> > over my disk.
>
> You can do it as a regular user, but you need to give the user who will
> build it full access to the sources, destdir and releasedir... I have
> just added some targets to sysutils/sysbuild to simplify this process ;)

Doesn't seem to be the case:

installing man pages in /usr/home/bryan/etc/src/NetBSD/current/xsrc/local/programs/xsystrace...
install.man in /usr/home/bryan/etc/src/NetBSD/current/xsrc/local/programs/xsystrace done
install -d -m 755 -o root -g wheel /usr/home/bryan/etc/src/NetBSD/current/X_REL/binary/sets
install: /usr/home/bryan/etc/src/NetBSD/current/X_REL/binary/sets: chown/chmod: Operation not permitted
cd /usr/src/distrib/sets &&  sh ./maketars -x -d /usr/home/bryan/etc/src/NetBSD/current/X_DEST -t /usr/home/bryan/etc/src/NetBSD/current/X_REL/binary/sets
cd: can't cd to /usr/src/distrib/sets
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/home/bryan/etc/src/NetBSD/current/xsrc

I'll use the approach suggested by Frederick.

thanks,
-bp
--
# Software Engineer