Subject: Re: How to build X source?
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 21:32:33
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:15:08 -0600 (CST)
Frederick Bruckman <> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Julio Merino wrote:
> > > I've built -current src a number of times, but never xsrc.  It appears that
> > > I simply check it out, set DESTDIR and RELEASEDIR and run "make release"
> > > (so I can have .tgz's).  However, there does not seem to be a way to run
> > > this build as a non-root user.  Is this correct?  Just want to make sure I
> > > am not going to do anything that is going to scribble over my disk.
> >
> > You can do it as a regular user, but you need to give the user who will build
> > it full access to the sources, destdir and releasedir... I have just added
> > some targets to sysutils/sysbuild to simplify this process ;)
> How does a regular user make "xterm" suid root?

How does a regular user make "(add here any setuid binary of /usr/bin)" suid root?

I know it has worked; just checked xterm binary from the xbase.tgz and looks fine.
I have built the sets today using sysbuild, and the overall process ran as an
unprivileged user...

Julio Merino ( <>