Subject: Re: UVM/other problems for desktop users in current?
To: Peter Seebach <>
From: Frederick Bruckman <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 08:28:08
On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Peter Seebach wrote:

> In message <>, George Michaelson writ
> es:
> >During cvs -q update -d -p runs over /usr/src, /usr/pkgsrc, /usr/xsrc
> >the interactive performance nosedives. the three main desktop apps I notice
> >this on are XFree86, phoenix and sylpheed, which have 25, 25 and 45Mb
> >in-memory sizes apparently.  Switching between virtual desks, the time to
> >re-paint, and then interact, is painful.
> Me too.  I have tried the obvious stuff (boost anonmin, etc), but no joy.

Have you tried boosting "execmin"? With the default of "5", switching
virtual desktops causes all my background X programs to swap out, but
"10", no problem. While compiling, there may be a visible redraw
delay, but no swapping. I'm running X, NFS server, name server, time
server, ipfilter, lpd, and a netatalk server.