Subject: Re: UVM/other problems for desktop users in current?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 00:25:09
In message <20021218055605.5912BB@proven.weird.com>, Greg A. Woods writes:
>I'm trying to say that those people punishing their machines with a
>combination of CPU and I/O intensive work while at the same time running
>a GUI and big GUI applications simply SHOULD NOT expect good interactive
>performance.  They are getting exactly what I would expect the should
>get.

I don't see why.  My Amiga could solve this problem.  My NetBSD 1.5 box
solved this problem better than my -current system does.

>I'm also suggesting that if they demand good interactive support
>ultimately then they must find some way to separate their job mix onto
>at least two appropriately tuned systems.

I disagree, simply because I've seen better performance on this.  I mean,
even *Windows* gives me better interactive performance under load right now.

I am strongly suspicious that there is a specific thing which will later
be seen as "a bug" which is dwarfing the tuning issues right now.

-s