Subject: Re: UVM/other problems for desktop users in current?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 00:56:05
[ On Wednesday, December 18, 2002 at 16:23:08 (+1100), grant beattie wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: UVM/other problems for desktop users in current?
>
> Your point about not running builds, etc. on workstations is valid,
> though not everyone has enough spare hardware to have a separate
> build box. However, I don't think that running a build on a
> workstation running X is asking too much, depending on hardware of
> course.

I'm trying to say that those people punishing their machines with a
combination of CPU and I/O intensive work while at the same time running
a GUI and big GUI applications simply SHOULD NOT expect good interactive
performance.  They are getting exactly what I would expect the should
get.

I'm also suggesting that if they demand good interactive support
ultimately then they must find some way to separate their job mix onto
at least two appropriately tuned systems.

--
								Greg A. Woods