Subject: Re: Separate /usr, etc...
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/2002 13:03:17
On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 01:23:34AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I haven't had /usr and / on separate file systems on any box I've run
> in years. I consider it (generally) a waste of space.

I was going that way, and (re)built a few machines with / and
/usr/pkg as the main software mountpoints, rather than / and /usr.

It worked nicely, though I found /usr/X11R6 somewhat of a wart that
I didn't entirely want in /.

Then cgd(4) came along, and my laptop was rebuilt the other way -
very small / outside, /usr and everything else inside cgd's.

Many circumstances lead to many solutions.

--
Dan.