Subject: Re: 40x CD-R without UDMA?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joachim Thiemann <joachim@tsp.ece.mcgill.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/2002 12:18:53
On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 18:54, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> cd1 at atapibus0 drive 1: <40X12, , 1.GE> cdrom removable
> cd1: 32-bit data port
> cd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
> cd1(pciide0:1:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
>
> Note no mention of UDMA support *at all*, which I find rather
> surprising.  I think you'd have to try pretty hard these days to
> not implement UDMA - and I rather doubt DMA-2 can sustain enough
> bandwidth for a full 40x burn. It has their equivalent of "burn
> proof", and makes readable cd's even if its not being fed at full
> speed.
>
> The other thing to note is that after the probe, the pc's drive
> LED comes on and stays on - until the burner is used the first
> time.  It rather looks like something is not completing properly
> during the probe. I tried it as master alone on the bus too, no
> difference.
Just to chime in, I have seen the same: my setup is, on my seconday
channel I have a Pioneer DVD reader as master and a LG CD-RW as slave.

(Note I'm tracking the 1.6 cvs branch (1.6.1?), not -current, so I've
cc'd the netbsd-users list)

dmesg:
pciide0: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
atapibus0 at pciide0 channel 1: 2 targets
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-116  010, ,
E1.07> type 5 cdrom removable
cd0: 32-bit data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4 (Ultra/66)
cd1 at atapibus0 drive 1: <HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B, , 1.07> type 5
cdrom removable
cd1: 32-bit data port
cd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
pciide0: secondary channel interrupting at irq 15
cd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data
transfers)
cd1(pciide0:1:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data
transfers)

BUT: I had to disable UDMA on the DVD to make it work - with the line

cd*     at atapibus? drive ? flags 0x0f00       # ATAPI CD-ROM drives

(Since the CD-RW does not seem to support UDMA at all it's OK to disable
it for both, I figure)

As with Daniel's setup, the IDE light comes on at probe and stays on
until I use (IIRC) the CD-RW (read).

Not 'broken' as such, since everything ('cept UDMA) works, but a tad
annoying.

Joe.