Subject: Re: Separate /usr, etc...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/2002 23:16:36

> > >    Well, in systems used by groups of people (ie. not at home), /usr
> > > and /usr/local (oft the same) grow and this gets replaced and someone
> > > needs that and put it in and, oh where did the space go?
> >
> > Thats why I like having one big partition. On a 120G drive, I don't
> > like deciding /usr/pkg needs N gigs and /home needs M gigs etc. I just
> > make it one big partition and I rarely have trouble. I used to spend
> > lots of time symlinking crud back and forth because of space
> > misallocations -- it no longer happens...
>
> 100GB partitions don't lead to good disk discipline.

I prefer using at least two disks, one small disk for the system,
and a larger for users' home directories and data.  I usually install
the system in one big partition.  Ordinary users can write only to
'/tmp' and '/var/tmp' there, and I use quotas to keep that under
control.  Of course since a "small" disk these days is ~20 GB, this
scheme tends to waste some space.  But in my experience, it makes
things easier to manage.

David S.