Subject: Re: Any point to cvs using rsh? (was Re: Anoncvs pointer)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/2002 14:59:20
Right, it doesn't die, it just becomes irrelevant when it meets
the needs of 10 years ago, but is far surpassed by current
offerings.  smail pops to mind as do several programs I can't
even recall that I lived by in 1990.

elm lives on only through stubborness of some people; though
I've converted several people with a muttrc that made mutt
look just like elm, but with MIME, POP and IMAP support
(and threading and color, etc, etc).

Several of you can look into the open source graveyard and
find familar bodies.

Irrelevance becomes a concern when, for example, I go into a new
job and offer, say, CVS as a way to deal with dysfunctional source
management habits.  CVS loses to proprietary commercial stuff when
the commercial tools work better.

I'm delighted that Netscape released CVS web and other management tools.

But while dead source code is still available, available != useful.

Quoting Greg A. Woods (woods@weird.com):