Subject: Re: Separate /usr, etc...
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/2002 17:24:22

On Saturday, 14 December 2002 at 13:47:48 -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Friday, December 13, 2002 at 23:10:34 (-0600), Peter Seebach wrote: ]
>> Subject: Separate /usr, etc...
>>
>> How important is it that /usr be a separate filesystem?
>
> It is not important at all -- not in the least.  In fact things are a
> lot better (i.e. easier to manage) if it is not.
>
> You really only want /tmp, /var, and /home to be separate
> filesystems.

Recall he's talking about CF file systems.  The rules are very
different there, and space is at a premium.  I'd recommend only two
file systems: / and /tmp (or /var/tmp).  The only reason for a second
file system under these circumstances is to avoid writing to the flash
all the time, which doesn't do them any good.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.