Subject: Re: Separate /usr, etc...
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/2002 17:24:22
[Format recovered--see]

On Saturday, 14 December 2002 at 13:47:48 -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Friday, December 13, 2002 at 23:10:34 (-0600), Peter Seebach wrote: ]
>> Subject: Separate /usr, etc...
>> How important is it that /usr be a separate filesystem?
> It is not important at all -- not in the least.  In fact things are a
> lot better (i.e. easier to manage) if it is not.
> You really only want /tmp, /var, and /home to be separate
> filesystems.

Recall he's talking about CF file systems.  The rules are very
different there, and space is at a premium.  I'd recommend only two
file systems: / and /tmp (or /var/tmp).  The only reason for a second
file system under these circumstances is to avoid writing to the flash
all the time, which doesn't do them any good.

When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.
For more information, see
Finger for PGP public key