Subject: Re: Did I miss a thread on build.sh and the "-E" flag?
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/14/2002 10:02:02
On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 08:49:52AM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
  | I know I'm not supposed to build to "/" but it's easy and I've hosed my
  | system several times by trying to manually copy files from a different
  | DESTDIR.

There's a solution for this now; after a "make DESTDIR=/foo build" do
	cd distrib/sets
	make DESTDIR=/foo INSTALLDIR=/ installsets

  | Is there any real reason (besides I could hose my system, which is the
  | fastest P4 in the house that only compiles NetBSD daily) that I shouldn't
  | do a "build.sh -u -E" ?

There will be (and in the past, have been) situations where updating
your in-tree toolchain and tools "on the fly" (by building to DESTDIR=/)
will cause you problems, due to the potential circular dependencies in
determining the correct order in which to update tools/includes/libraries
(etc).  /usr/src/UPDATING attempts to cover these situations,

It's generally safer to do a full build into a DESTDIR and then use a
variety of techniques (including the new "installsets" target I mention
above) to install the new files.   Of course, you're free to build to
DESTDIR=/, but as build.sh without -E complains, you should be an
"expert" to do this (which means, ``don't complain if it breaks'' :-)

Luke.