Subject: Re: Any point to cvs using rsh? (was Re: Anoncvs pointer)
To: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/2002 11:21:42
cgd@broadcom.com writes:
> At Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:25:08 +0000 (UTC), "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> > Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com> writes:
> > > Is there any reason not to just have CVS (and rsync and rdist)
> > > just use ssh by default?
> >
> > None but history. I would love to see patches that fix this by
> > default.
>
> ... thereby breaking people with perfectly working configurations
> right now.

I doubt it. I remember when someone finally changed the default on tar
and dump from /dev/rmt0 to /dev/rst0 and astonishingly, there were no
screams of pain, just "wow, why didn't they do that earlier?"

I know of a couple of people still using rsh, but only a couple. I
cannot recall the last time I used it myself, and I'm hardly the only
person in that position.

My suspicion is that the number of people finding themselves slapping
their foreheads after an hour of not getting rCVS to work because they
forgot the CVS_RSH variable is a lot larger than the number of
remaining people who will be bothered by this.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com