Subject: Re: Any point to cvs using rsh? (was Re: Anoncvs pointer)
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/2002 08:05:03
At Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:25:08 +0000 (UTC), "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com> writes:
> > Is there any reason not to just have CVS (and rsync and rdist)
> > just use ssh by default?
>
> None but history. I would love to see patches that fix this by
> default.

... thereby breaking people with perfectly working configurations
right now.

and, breaking people who want to use cvs in the "normal" way as
specified by all of the existing public documentation, plus manual
pages on who knows how many systems other than NetBSD.

Yes, this sounds like a great way to make using NetBSD in a mixed-os
computing environment, or in a way compatible with existing behaviour,
just a little bit harder.  That's the spirit!  While we're at it,
maybe we should, oh, i dunno, shuffle some of the command line option
names used by our copies of the GNU tools, or something, too.  That'd
be even better!

cgd