Subject: Re: Running two Xservers causes problems with wscons
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/2002 19:11:12
On 10 Dec 2002 08:30:01 -0600, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <20021202170624.3dd4f913.christianbiere@gmx.de>,
> 	Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de> writes:
>> Is it a problem with wscons or a problem of the Xserver?
>
> The WSCONS support in XFree86 (3.3.6 and 4.x) is not handling this
> setup very well. See here:
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=8128

I wonder if this is related to my problem with my ATI xpert 2000
and -current where often when I attempt to switch to a ws console
or change screen resolutions, or sometimes when I log out, XFree86
coredumps.

Sometimes xdm will restart and sometimes it will hang, leaving me
no way to log into in the machine locally. When it hangs, it's
because the xdm child process can't be killed.

This started with -current. 1.6 release and before didn't exhibit
it and it doesn't occur with a G200 gfx board.

The first indication of a problem is the the screen appears to jump
up, leaving a stripe at the bottom of the screen, about 1/8 the
vertical size of the screen. Usually xdm restarts xf86 after that.
If not, there is usually a dead cursor in the upper left of the
all black screen that signifies there is no longer a way to log in
locally.