Subject: Re: groff/-current build problems
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/2002 07:34:44
On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 07:08:56PM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:

 > cd /usr/src && make postinstall-check
 >
 > 'oooh, really hard'...

So, if that's what you do after you unpack the sets, why didn't you just
say so in the first place?

In any case, unpacking sets to do an "install after build" phase is still
lame, esp. since there is no automated way to do it.  It has always been
possible to essentially build/install the NetBSD source tree on the running
system with a single command, and removing that would be a functional
regression.

Let's take a step back for a minute ... why do you think people do
DESTDIR=/ builds?  Answer: Because it's convenient.  It's certainly
more convenient than building sets somewhere and then unpacking them
by hand over the running system and then running the postinstall phase
manually.

I've been doing DESTDIR=/ builds of -current for ... since I started using
NetBSD, certainly long before build.sh and src/tools existed to make the
process more foolproof.  And this is the first time that "build.sh" has
screwed the process up, and it's a pretty minor screwup.  What's disturbing
is that people seem to think the solution is to de-support DESTDIR=/ builds,
rather than to figure out what caused build.sh to build things in the wrong
order (which I am still not sure is the case, because build.sh did *NOT* fail
for me in this way when I changed the crt* files).

...and in the "what more do you want" department ... build.sh *DOES* actually
emit a warning about "this could hose your system!" for DESTDIR=/ builds.  If
the user chooses to ignore this warning, well... "we supply the rope".