Subject: Re: groff/-current build problems
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/2002 10:39:01
On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 19:55:34 -0800 (PST)
Bill Studenmund <> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 02:28:30PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> >
> > > Using a DESTDIR, and then making the tgz sets (by "hand") to install them
> > > over the system. This way, if the build fails, you will broke nothing.
> See the note I'm going to send JM; you don't have to make tgz sets by
> hand, and probably shouldn't.

So, how do you install the build results that went into a DESTDIR != / ?
By hand, I mean:

    cd distrib/sets && make sets DESTDIR=/whatever RELEASEDIR=/x/y/z

(plus UNPRIVED=yes if you used -U). And then I extract those sets over my

Yeah, I know I can use the -R, which will also build these sets, but building
a release takes a lot more time than just the base system...

> No, it hasn't. While using DESTDIR=/ isn't forbidden, it's been
> dis-recomended for like the whole time I've been a developer (which is
> like 5 years now).

It *should* be ;)

Julio Merino ( <>