Subject: Re: groff/-current build problems
To: Steven M. Bellovin <>
From: Daniel Carosone <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/2002 15:29:21

> The problem is that installing a release from sets is an annoying
> process.  You have to zap all the things that a full installation
> needs but you already have (i.e., root's crontab), and take the usual
> care with /etc.  etcupdate is a big step forward, but I'm still not at
> all satisifed with the ease of upgrading.  (Note:  this isn't to say
> that tar-ing DESTDIR on top of the running system is easier -- it's the
> same set of problems.  But I wish there were an easier way to keep
> -current.)

I find

# rsync -avH --delete --delete-after --exclude-from=... $DESTDIR/. /.

works very well for me.  I run it once first with -n to see what
it would do, and then again without if I'm happy.

--delete-after stops it deleting old shlibs before installing new
ones, otherwise you could run it a third time with the --delete.
Note that we recently bumped libutil, which means i needed to
rebuild X as well as the normal DESTDIR.

The --exclude-from file lists a few things in /etc that I want to
keep, but not the whole dir. I posted my then-current copy a while
back, here's a slightly more recent one. Beware it will nuke files
you modify but i don't.

However, it does mean I can't use UNPRIVED builds.