Subject: Re: groff/-current build problems
To: Martin Husemann <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/2002 19:55:34
On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 02:28:30PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> > Using a DESTDIR, and then making the tgz sets (by "hand") to install them
> > over the system. This way, if the build fails, you will broke nothing.

See the note I'm going to send JM; you don't have to make tgz sets by
hand, and probably shouldn't.

> I hope you are all joking here.
> Until now, the real way has been "cd /usr/src && ./" or something
> similar. Before that, it used to be "cd /usr/src && make && make install".

No, it hasn't. While using DESTDIR=/ isn't forbidden, it's been
dis-recomended for like the whole time I've been a developer (which is
like 5 years now).

> We can not now silently break this without proper notice and useable
> replacement.
> And for no good reason. At least none has been given here.

The reason is the same one that's always given when ever DESTDIR=/ comes
up; building to / will always (be able to) give you an inconsistent

Take care,