Subject: mplayer performance, was Re: lost interrupt + messages
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/2002 19:46:06
On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Olaf Seibert wrote:

> On Tue 03 Dec 2002 at 14:28:16 -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > Also, audio output uses OSS compat by default, even though the native
> > driver is usually superior (and never worse). Try it with "-ao sun".
> > That can make a huge difference. The package probably shouldn't
> > compile in the OSS support at all (except when the "real OSS" hook is
> > enabled).
>
> I find that with the default sound (and -ao sun, maybe that's the same),
> mplayer's volume control does not work (on my laptop, at least). With
> -ao sdl, it does.

I believe that. I just use "xmmix" to control the volume. By the way,
you can verify my suspicion that the sound driver is responsible (or
disprove it) by running with "-ao null". I find the sdl drivers to be
too slow for my K6-2 450, even with "-ao null", but the OP's XP 1900+
should have more than enough raw horsepower, which led me to suspect
the sound driver.

Frederick