Subject: ATA disks > 128GB (was Re: newfs can't make filesystems over 1TB in size)
To: None <>
From: Klaus Heinz <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/2002 15:06:06
Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

> There appears to be some info regarding this on
> perhaps also elsewhere on NetBSD site.

This reminds me we should update the information on this page; it still
talks about limits of 8GB and 34GB.
A little search shows, that in

Manuel suggests, that NetBSD supports 48-bit LBA addresses beginning
with release 1.6. Can anyone confirm this who actually tried that?

Did I understand the solution for ATA disks > 128GB correctly, that it's
only a matter of software (in the OS and/or the machine firmware) and
you do _not_ need a new ATA host adapter?
If that's the case I guess I should be able to use those kinds of disks
even on an older system if I can persuade it to boot from this disk.