Subject: newfs can't make filesystems over 1TB in size
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/2002 01:40:48
	Hello folks.  In trying to newfs my newly working
2TB 3ware escalade system into action, I'm confronted with the message:
Preposterous size from newfs.
A check of the code shows that it checks to see if the fssize variable,
which reflects the total number of sectors in a filesystem, is negative.
If it is, it prints this message and exits.  The fssize varible is a signed
32-bit integer, meaning newfs won't make filesystems larger than 2^31
sectors in size.
	My questions are these:

1.  If I change fssize's type from int to
long long, I believe newfs will work.  However, does the kernel have the
same limitation?

2.  Is there a different solution I should consider which folks have
already tried?

3.  If #1 is the correct solution, should I send-pr it?

-thanks
-Brian