Subject: Re: System goes into standby mode
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Fernando Machado <fm@fmachado.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/2002 22:25:17
Hi!

If i'm not wrong, this is a new mboard feature. :o/

I found the same problem with RedHat and SuSe (check the link below):
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/xf86_apm.html

"(...)
- Symptom:
Your computer has a SiS chipset. When you use the short cut Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (e.g., to kill the running X server), the
whole machine shuts down instead. This happens on the text console, too.

- Cause:
Some motherboards with SiS chipsets have a built-in functionality to shut down the system when pressing
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. This only occurs when using kernels with apm support.

- Solution:
First, check if your computer's BIOS contains the option Init VGA-BIOS from S3. If yes, set this BIOS function to disabled.
(...)"

Regards,

-fmac