Subject: Re: bge driver supports BCM5702/4401?
To: Werner Backes <werner@bit-1.de>
From: TAMURA Kent <kent@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/28/2002 23:06:59
In message "bge driver supports BCM5702/4401?"
    on 02/11/25, Werner Backes <werner@bit-1.de> writes:
> does the bge driver has support for the BCM5702 chip? if_bge.c 's
> header says "Broadcom BCM570x family gigabit ethernet driver for
> NetBSD" but the 5702 is not listed in the ASIC version list.
> Does this mean it is not supported? If not, would it be easy to
> make the bge driver to support this chip or would it require a
> device driver to be written? And finally (that's what I really
> want to know :-)) would the 10/100Mbit version of this chip,
> the BCM4401 work with this driver? The product brief of the chip
> claims it is pin- and software compatible with the BCM5702 but
> I'm not shure if they mean "register compatible" by this.
> Btw. it is the onboard ethernet chip used on some ASUS A7V8x
> boards so support for it would probably be nice.

I have an A7V8X/LAN, which is a BCM4401 model, and it crashed
the kernel to add BCM4401 to the ASIC version list ;-(
I coundn't find open source drivers supporting BCM4401.

BCM5702 support must be very easy according to the change in the
FreeBSD bge driver:
	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c.diff?r1=1.22&r2=1.23
I recommend a BCM5702 version of A7V8X.

--