Subject: lpd/hosts.lpd archaic?
To: BSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/2002 13:39:51
Is it me, or does anyone else find the requirement and specification for
hosts.lpd to be archaic?

I have a DHCP setup, and I really don't want to have to specify all 250
hosts in the range as being allowed to use the printer.  I find the fact
that hosts.lpd is actually required.  That just seems really silly; in
the absence of hosts.lpd, it should Just Print, especially given the
ability to listen on a specific interface.

In particular, it would be really nice for hosts.lpd to be able to handle
a network/mask combination, or some other method of access control for
lpd.

No, I'm not interested in upgrading to CUPS.  Don't ask.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Choose Your Own Slogan.