Subject: mysql updates
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/2002 20:33:00
This message is just to avoid someone perhaps wasting effort...

I have updated NetBSD pkgsrc entries for the latest MySQL (3.23.53).

That version has lots of bugs fixed (according to the changes files,
almost every bug you can imagine was there to be fixed...)

The major change for NetBSD will be that it no longer includes its
own copy of mit-pthreads - so when I made this update, I switched it
to use pth (which seems to be the threads package of choice for NetBSD
these days).   That was much easier than trying to convince mit-pthreads
to function in a buildlink2 universe.

At the minute, this is just waiting on a local SQL person actually testing
that it all still works (I kind of know how to make code compile, etc,
but actually testing a database system is someone else's problem...)

That should be done by early next week, at which point I will send a PR
with the updates.

I will include the rc.d script that Julio Merino submitted in PR19055 as
part of this.

I am also working on a mysql4 package (perhaps better called mysql-current ??)
for the new (currently only beta) versions of MySQL (4.0.4-beta) which
should have a bunch of new functionality (and I believe, incompatabilities
with MySQL 3).   That should be done over the weekend, but once again, will
need testing by someone SQL literate to see that it actually works sanely.

kre