Subject: Re: why remove my backups? (Fwd: nanook daily insecurity output for Thu Nov 14 03:15:01 EST 2002)
To: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2002 09:35:12
>> >why would my machine have removed my backups of my disklabels? The RCS
>> >files are still there, I understand - I am curious in the internal
>> >workings here ..
>> it has "removed" them from the list of things it checks every night
>> because you have apparently deconfigured your ccd.
>
>No, that's not it - I had the same thing happen to me last night, except that
>the backup disklabels for my two hard disks were removed.
>
>The only thing I can think of that might cause this is that I updated to a
>1.6K kernel yesterday, and this has the changes to the disk stats. I wonder
>if this is causing disklabel to fail? I get several messages in the daily log
>about iostat failing.

oh, that sounds good.  i'm not running 1.6K yet (though i will be in a
day or so, i expect), so i can't verify this, but you can.

/etc/security uses iostat to generate the list of disks that are worth
recording.  what does the command "iostat -x" tell you?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."