Subject: preferred method for maintaining local changes
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/2002 22:19:13
Hi, I'm wondering what everyones preferred method of maintaining local changes
to NetBSD src/pkgsrc is. I've tried a union mount (specifics below) but it had
some oddities that I didn't like. Any ideas?

The union mount I tried was:
mount -t union -o -b /usr/pkgsrc /scratch/pkgsrc-local

the directory (and all its contents) that the symlink /usr/pkgsrc points to is
owned by dive, and thus dive can do whatever i want there, but in
/scratch/pkgsrc-local, all the directories are owned by root, so I can't add
files. To be specific, I was trying to add a patch-ah file to
sysutils/xosview/patches and have it not show up in the 'real' pkgsrc, which is
/usr/pkgsrc. When trying to cp the patch to /scratch/pkgsrc-local/sysutils/xosview,
I got permission denied, because the directory was owned by root, not dive, even
though everything under /usr/pkgsrc (and the directory itself) is owned by dive.

Am I doing something incorrectly?

Any suggestions/hints are appreciated.

Thanks,
-Sean