Subject: Re: build.sh -t fails on 1.6I
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/2002 17:20:39
On Sat, 09 Nov 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > (Actually, files in RELEASEDIR do not affect the build, but I delete
> > them anyway.)
>
> That's good, because the release build will complain and fail if there
> are extra files in RELEASEDIR (like files that have become obsolete).

I think you are confusing RELEASEDIR with DESTDIR.  RELEASEDIR contains
various tgz files and kernels, and not much more.

> > "build.sh -r" deletes TOOLDIR and DESTDIR, but does not delete OBJDIR.
> > This might be a bug.
>
> A normal build does a "cleandir", so that should take care of your
> object files.

make cleandir sometimes fails if there's an out of date .depends file
that refers to a source file that no longer exists.  Deleting the whole
OBJDIR is the easiest way to get rid of the problem.

> One thing that I'm starting to think is a bug, though,
> is that "cleandir" doesn't delete the kernel build directories.

Yes, I'd call that a bug, though the right fix is not obvious to me.
Perhaps "rm -rf $(KERNOBJDIR)" in src/sys/arch/*/conf/Makefile ?

--apb (Alan Barrett)