Subject: PIII overheat detection (redux)
To: NetBSD-current <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan J. Phillippe \(spamblock\) <bryan-spamtrap5@darkforest.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/2002 16:15:09
Hello,

I recently posted about a problem I have on a PIII notebook running NetBSD
(*) where the laptop shuts off about two hours into a ./build of current
src.  After doing a bit more research, it appears this is the standard
behavior of the PIII when it begins to overheat - it will shut off.  Most
likely my notebook BIOS/mainboard detects this and powers the whole system
down.

Is there not some kind of interrupt or event raised by the CPU when it
begins to overheat, that we can trap on and back off the scheduler or
something?

(*) Tried latest current with ACPI patches.  The laptop is an HP pavilion
zt1230.  CPU reports as:

cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
cpu0: Intel Pentium III (Tualatin) Pentium III Xeon (686-class), 1333.20 MHz
cpu0: features 383f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features 383f9ff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,FGPAT,PSE36,MMX>
cpu0: features 383f9ff<FXSR,SSE>
cpu0: I-cache 16 KB 32b/line 4-way, D-cache 16 KB 32b/line 4-way
cpu0: L2 cache 256 KB 32b/line 8-way
cpu0: ITLB 32 4 KB entries 4-way, 2 4 MB entries fully associative
cpu0: DTLB 64 4 KB entries 4-way, 8 4 MB entries 4-way
cpu0: 8 page colors

-bp
--
# bryan_at_darkforest_dot_org