Subject: Re: /rescue
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Melomedman <dan%dan.dan@devonit.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/2002 12:52:22
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:40:44PM +0100, Reinier Jonker wrote:
> > Recently, /rescue was added due to the usage of dynamically linked
> > executables in /bin and /sbin. I noticed the (statically linked)
> > programs in /rescue are a bit faster than those in /bin and /sbin. Is
> > there a good reason not to use those? Prepending /rescue to PATH
> > appears to work fine.
>
> Read the (long) discussion about this change.
> Basically /bin and /sbin were switched to dynamic linking so that these
> programs can use dlopen() (to e.g. load authentification module, or
> locale support). As long as you don't need these tools to dlopen() modules,
> you can use the tools in /rescue instead.
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.           Manuel.Bouyer@lip6.fr
> --

By the way, this is what Linux nsswitch.conf man page says:

NOTES
       With  Solaris,  it isn't possible to link programs
       using the NSS Service statically. With Linux, this
       is no problem.
Linux                    17 January 1999

Am I correct to think in Linux dlopen() and static linking can be used
together, and in NetBSD cannot? If not, is it in planning?