Subject: Re: /rescue
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/2002 11:05:11
On Sun, 03 Nov 2002, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> Many of the programs in /rescue lack features of their counterparts in
> /bin and /sbin (things are left out of them in order to make them smaller).

I thought that the tools in the rescue set would be built without
SMALLPROG defined.  This is because rescue/Makefile sets SMALLPROG=0,
which tells distrib/common/Makefile.crunch not to set SMALLPROG in
CRUNCHENV, which results in SMALLPROG not being defined when the
crunched rescue programs are built.  If SMALLPROG is somehow being set,
or if something other than SMALLPROG is used to remove features from the
rescue tools, then I don't see where it happens.

In contrast, all the other distrib/*/*/Makefile that include
distrib/common/Makefile.crunch do not set SMALLPROG, so Makefile.crunch
will default to using SMALLPROG=1, so the programs on miniroot and boot
floppy images etc. will be built with SMALLPROG defined.

--apb (Alan Barrett)