Subject: Re: Lost wi(4) connections in -current?
To: None <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/2002 18:17:33
   On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:57:42PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
   > There don't seem to be any "pauses" - it's just that, suddenly,
   > during a connection, the connection will instantly close; it doesn't
   > time out, it closes within milliseconds of the last successful
   > packet.

   I have just started trying to use wi(4) on an Apple laptop with an
   access point.  I don't have much to compare it to, but it seems work
   fine in OS/X.  It works better in NetBSD if I disable powersave mode.
   With powersave enabled, I can ping, but not ftp/ssh/etc.  Or rather,
   I can, but it seems that only the first bit of data gets transferred.
   Is powersave supposed to work differently?  There's next to no
   documentation on it in ifconfig(8).  I also notice that the AP is
   racking up errors, but that seems to be happening at some rate with
   OS/X, too--hard to tell if it's the same rate, though.

   -allen

    http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
   NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...

As I understand things, the powersave mode works by turning off and on the
transmiter in the wavelan card.  There is an additional tunable that sets
how long the transmiter is off.  I have also heard that it requires
assistance from the access point in order to function correctly.  My
Lucent AP1000 handles this all ok, and everything works, with a slight bit
of extra latency.  There does not appear to be any errors reported from
using powersave mode on the AP.  Perhaps your access point does not
provide this needed support.

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]