Subject: Re: Strange behavior with build.sh -j 4
To: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@gson.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/2002 17:17:59
> My current theory is that it is a race condition in make.  Make relies
> on a SIGCHLD to wake up select() when a job exits, but what if the job
> exits *before* the parent make has entered select()?

If it is doing that, then it is truly horrid :-)

Having a SIGCHLD signal handler write a message to a pipe
with in included in the select would fix it...

Alternatively you need to implement something that makes signals
only happen when they actually abort a kernel sleep.
(Actually 'useful' to fix a few other lurking buglets I've
seen in the past.)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk